Monday, November 24, 2014

It's All About The Fortune and Fame . . . NOT

The most common misconception regarding cover artists is that we are going to get filthy rich doing this. The number one comment I receive when people find out that I designed the covers for the Fifty Shades trilogy is, “Wow, you must get some nice royalty checks every month.”  I have to stop myself from laughing hysterically every time someone says that. The sad reality of cover design is that you receive a one-time fee and credit on the copyright page for your work. Royalties are not a part of the deal.

We have two running jokes in my family. First, our house is referred to as, “the house that Fifty Shades built.” Everyone assumes this is true based on the idea that I receive royalty payments. My family and I laugh about it and the phrase has just stayed. The second joke is that I’m Waxahachie’s best kept secret. Everyone knows my work but has no idea I did it. My designs are considered iconic and they changed so many things in the cover design world, and again no one associates me with my designs. Those covers have seen more airtime on TV and the Internet than my kids have excuses for not cleaning their rooms. And you guessed it, no one realizes they are my work.

The reason for this rant is to point out that your work in this industry will not gain you fame or fortune. You may create something that will change the design world but you will still struggle to pay the bills and be able to walk in the grocery store without a disguise. You do this job because you love it.

Authors, please remember to appreciate the great talent that is your cover artist.  They put their heart and soul into every cover they design. They do their best to produce an amazing cover and bring to life the picture in your head to represent your book. Is is not always an easy task. Some authors have pretty scary minds ;) The best way to to appreciate your artist (other than an awesome paycheck) is to promote the beautiful work they do for you. This not only helps them feel appreciated, but it also helps promote their business. Let's face it, word of mouth is the best promotion most of us cover artists can get.

Oh yeah, don't forget to add October 26th to your calendars. This is Graphic Design Appreciation Day. Be sure to let your cover artist or any graphic designer that does work for you how much you appreciate them on that day every year :)

2 comments:

  1. Your work is beautiful and fantastic and you deserve all the love and appreciation there is to offer. Thank you for being an incredibly professional and understanding artist.

    ReplyDelete