Monday, May 18, 2015

RT 2015

RT2015 was held this past weekend in Dallas. While I couldn’t attend the entire event, I was lucky enough to spend a little time there this weekend. 


Friday was a day to meet and hang out with friends. My afternoon started out stalking Avery Flynn. If you have been following my posts you know that I had the privilege of meeting Avery at Readers & ‘ritas this past November. She is awesome and I was excited when she posted her Happy Hour plans. If you follow Avery at all online I will let you know that what you see there is how she is in person. She is funny, crazy, and one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. I was shocked she remembered me telling her that I was working on my first novel. Extra cool points for Avery :)

Avery Flynn


I did see a few other awesome authors in passing in the bar that afternoon. Jade Lee was hanging out with Avery and I got to say hi. She is loud, crazy, and all kinds of awesome. I got to say hi to Kym Roberts, give her a hug, and get a pic with her. This was the first time I saw Heather Long pass by me too. I saw her in passing about four more times Friday night. She was one busy lady.
Kym Roberts




Friday at four o’clock was the time I was anxiously awaiting...
Twilight Fanfiction
Happy Hour 


Twilight Fanfiction Happy Hour
In spring 2008 I discovered Twilight Fanfiction. This came at a time in my life when I needed an escape. This fandom embraced me and I have made some of the best friends of my adult life as a result. This was the first place I discovered my talent and love for graphic design and embraced the author within me. While I was never wildly popular like Helena Hunting or Debra Anastasia, I did have a decent amount of positive reviews for everything I posted. The positive response I received from this community is the reason I am working on my first novel. 


Debra Anastasia
Debra Anastasia is a doll and set up the happy hour on Friday so we could all get a chance to meet our friends we have all come to depend on and love. I was excited to finally get to meet these amazing ladies. This meet up definitely did not disappoint. Everyone was so sweet. I had major fangirl moments meeting Helena Hunting, Debra Anastasia, and Killian McRae. You ladies are rockstars in my world and I can only equate it to meeting someone like J.R. Ward or Diana Gabaldon. 




Helena Hunting
I am such a wallflower that I tend to hang in the background and talk when someone approaches me. It took all of my courage to approach some of these wonderful ladies. The main questions asked were are you a reader or a writer and if you are a writer what did you write. Some big names like Helena Hunting and Debra Anastasia didn’t need the second question. If you are a member of the Twilight Fandom then you know their works. For me it wasn’t an easy question to answer. Yes I did write but a lot of people did not know my work. Imagine my surprise when a few people remembered my one-shot My Secret Admirer that was included in the Twilighted iFic’s One-Shot Compilation. That was even better than meeting Helena and Debra...sorry ladies ;)


Stefanie and Lynnette - awesome Fanfic ladies
Lynette :)
S.L. Scott

Twilight Fanfic Happy Hour - RT 2015


Sorry, I didn’t mean to ramble on about Fanfiction but it is a major part of who I am and what I do now that I can’t just stop once I start ;)



The absolute highlight of Friday was introducing Avery Flynn and Helena Hunting. These two write some pretty hilarious stuff and I about died when I saw Avery post about reading Pucked by Helena and loving it. I knew I had to get these two together. As the night was winding down Avery showed up for the RT Awards ceremony. BTW, congrats on the award for Enemies on Tap. Well deserved :) My husband was on the ball and spotted Helena before she was totally gone. We caught up to her and these two awesome authors met. They made a Jenn sandwich and I now have one of my favorite pics ever. Thanks for that, ladies.
Avery Flynn and Helena Hunting


I did not make it to the major book fair on Saturday. My RT experience was always intended to be a business expense and I just couldn’t justify going to fangirl all over authors that I really couldn’t give my business card. I’m glad I didn’t because I used part of my Saturday to help Amber L. Johnson. Sadly, the majority of her books, swag and her banner did not arrive. I loved being able to help her with some promo items and a banner for her table. Amber is awesome and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to meet her in person and help her.

Amber L. Johnson

Sunday was greatness. I attended the RT Readers and Writers Round Up. This was an indie author event that included seminars for indie authors to help them succeed. I sat in  on a few sessions. The speakers were very good but I don’t think they had enough time to speak. 



The rest of the time I visited each author's tables and most of the industry professionals in attendance. I was finally able to catch Heather Long not on the run. I always love talking with her. I also met Mary Elizabeth and finished my collection of her signed books. She was so sweet.

Mary Elizabeth


Again, the number one question the authors loved to ask was are you a reader or a writer. I very proudly said I was a graphic designer and I designed the Fifty Shades covers. If you know me, then you know how hard it is for me to acknowledge this fact. Not because I’m ashamed but because I’m not one to boast. It’s usually my husband or my mother saying loud and proud what I did. It was amazing the responses I received when authors found that out. They were impressed and eager to have my card. One author even had a fangirl moment meeting me. She asked me for my autograph. It is still surreal to have people want my autograph for that.


Overall I had a great experience at RT. I had fangirl moments of my own and was the subject of a few unexpected fangirl moments for other people. I had a blast with the fanfic girls. I loved meeting new authors and reconnecting with my faves. I will definitely attend RT in the future the next time it is in a location near me.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, you are awesome! Thanks for sharing your experiences and I adore Avery, too! We only got to hook up a couple of times and they were both flying quick hugs and waves.

    ReplyDelete