Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mid-year Resolution

It's really heart-breaking to realize a year's worth of hard work losing weight can be lost in six months. I started my new job in November. I had gotten my weight down to 158.6 and I was wearing a size 14. I was so proud of myself. I was slowly working my way down to my first goal of 150 pounds.

The new job meant new routines and letting good habits slide. I was no longer making smart food choices. Also, I was not taking the time to work out. Working only from home I was able to adjust my work schedule to get my 2.5-3 mile walk in each day. Working away from home was an excuse not to get my walking done.

About a month ago I noticed that my clothes were fitting a bit tighter. I reluctantly stepped on the scale and nearly cried. I had gained 20 pounds for a new weight of 178.6 pounds. That is unacceptable. It is time to get my weight and health back on track.

I am making mid-year resolutions.

First, I will make better food choices throughout the day. It has been too easy to stop on the way to work and grab a quick breakfast. While this has been convenient, it is killing my waistline. Michael is awesome and has been getting up and making me an egg white omelet each morning. The vending machine is an evil temptation that I will avoid while at work. The bad habit of snacking before bed will stop.

Second, I will increase my physical activity each day. I have set my Fitbit goals to 12,000 steps, 5 miles, and 10 sets of stairs per day. Again, Michael is my exercise buddy. He is right there with me doing these activities and cheering me on. I will take the stairs at work unless I am with a person who his physically unable to take them. That doesn't happen often so I should be taking stairs 95% of the time. I will not go to the bathroom down the hall at work. I will go to the bathroom downstairs. I already park on the back row in the parking lot so no change needed there.

Implementing these simple changes has already made a huge difference. After one week of better eating and taking the stairs at work (I didn't implement the walking and 10 sets of stairs until this week) I lost 5 pounds. This past weekend I weighed 173.2 pounds. I'm so proud of that 5 pounds. I don't expect that much each week. I will be happy with 1 or 2 pounds a week.

I can't begin to explain how thankful I am for a wonderful husband like Michael through all of this. He noticed me gaining the weight and did not make me feel horrible. He never called me fat or made me feel bad about it. He would push me to be more active, but never made me feel guilty if I was not. He is right by my side doing everything I'm doing, including making smarter food choices. He's my biggest cheerleader and the first to hug me when I don't quite reach my goals.

I do have a few goals that I'm working toward. I want to participate in the WISD Legacy Run. It is held in October every year as part of the Homecoming activities. I'm working on being able to do the 5K run. I'm able to run one mile. Hopefully by October I can run the full 3.1 miles. I would eventually like to be able to participate in a Disney Run event.

I'm working back to my 150 pound goal. I would love to reach this goal by Christmas. Losing at least 1 pound per week makes this an attainable goal. I know I will struggle and get frustrated, but I will try my best to push through and lose the weight. I want to keep my mid-year resolution so I can make a new one in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment